Korea...
...has been thus far a crazy experience, stretching me emotionally, physically, and definitely financially. I believe these past 11 days have been some of the hardest in my life. I have moved three different times, have heard more people having sex than I ever want to hear again, and have some of the world’s craziest bosses.
Anyway, I am slowly adjusting and things are better. I met Fred for lunch today and was unbelievably glad to see someone familiar who I didn’t have to front with. His 학원 and mine are so different it’s not even funny.
It’s crazy to be in Korea while the Virginia Tech thing is going on… it’s been interesting to hear the responses of my Korean co-workers but at times like this, I feel an even larger cultural disparity and I wish I was back in Los Angeles witnessing firsthand what Korean-Americans are going through. Maybe it’s just my co-workers, but all I’ve been hearing are very superficial comments about how “싸이코” the guy was and how his picture makes him look like a “변태.” But again, the co-workers who are making these comments are the abovementioned crazy people. I’ve also noticed that most pictures and interviews being portrayed are Caucasian people… something that’s been sort of bothering me because I feel like there is probably a significant number of equally distraught Korean-American students affected by this. But maybe I’m being biased.
My weekend plans will be shopping at the famous 동대문, working, going to Costco (I’m very excited about this one), and possibly checking out a church with Fred and Sharon. It’s nice to have plans.