Wednesday, April 30, 2003

I went to Costco today with Sewon. She went to buy us a berry sundae while I finished my slice of pizza. Feeling lonely, I was chomping away while absentmindedly staring off into space when I suddenly noticed this little old wrinkled lady sitting at the next table, facing me. I like old people, so I stared while she ate a hot dog, vertically held very carefully in her two hands. Then I began to get worried for her, especially cuz she looked a bit sad and melancholic sitting there, all by herself with her hot dog. But I realized she had a little old wrinkled spouse as he came toddling back to her after refilling his drink cup. She didn't even notice him though, until he was standing right in front of her, pouring some of his drink into her empty cup. I watched her stare at the cup for a split second in pure confusion, and then watched her eyes light in pure joy as she smiled up at her husband who was smiling back down at her. I saw her mouth the words, "Thank you" and watched as she, still smiling, re-settled her gaze back onto the cup until he was done.